Thursday, August 27, 2026

Supreme Court Reflection

The U.S Supreme Court is the Powerful Court in the World

After watching the documentary about the history of the U.S. Supreme Court, I learned several things that I did not know before. One of the most interesting points was that the Supreme Court hears its cases in public, allowing people to observe an institution that has such an important role in American government.

I also learned that the Supreme Court moved to Washington, D.C., in 1801. Another fact that stood out was that there have been more than one hundred Supreme Court justices throughout history. While the average justice serves about sixteen years on the bench, some have served much longer.

The most important takeaway for me is that the Supreme Court depends on the trust of the American people. The Court is often described as impartial and unbiased, and its authority ultimately rests on public confidence in its decisions.

Current Supreme Court Justices

The documentary showed how the Court handles some of the nation’s biggest questions. Great national issues are argued before the justices, who then decide whether lower courts applied the law correctly and whether decisions are constitutional.

One of the most surprising things I learned was the tradition of the justices shaking hands every time they enter conference meetings or the courtroom. I was also surprised to learn that during discussions, each justice speaks once before anyone speaks a second time. These customs help promote respect and fairness among the members of the Court.

Another lesson that stood out was a statement about the responsibility of serving on the Court: you forget that you are doing your job at the Supreme Court when you forget that you are in the Supreme Court. That idea emphasized the importance of humility and responsibility in such a powerful position.

An Important Moment in History
The documentary also discussed historical moments, including the Dred Scott case and the years of Chief Justice John Marshall, when the Court gained greater public acceptance.

Before watching the documentary, I thought of the Supreme Court mainly as a group that issued legal decisions. After watching it, I see it as an institution built on tradition, public trust, and careful deliberation. The video gave me a greater appreciation for how the Court operates and why its role remains so important in American society.



AI Disclaimer: AI was not used in the research and information for this blog post. All information came from notes that I took while watching a video titled “Supreme Court of the United States.” I then prompted Microsoft Copilot Pro to help me shape my notes into a blog post of between 300 and 3350 words written in a smooth professional style. I then added links to online sources that the reader could pursue for more information. Finally I added appropriate images and captions to help break up the type and give the post a more professional look.  

No comments:

Post a Comment